6 Main Rooms to close on Tuesday
The New Uffizi project moves on to modernize the Uffizi Gallery and this was going to happen sooner or later: six main rooms of the museum will close for renovations on Tuesday, July 22.
The 6 rooms are:
- Hall 2 – the hall with the 3 Maesta’ by Cimabue, Giotto and Duccio di Buoninsegna
- Hall 3 – dedicated to 14th century Sienese artists
- Hall 4 – 14th century Florentine artists
- Hall 5 and 6 – International Gothic
- Hall 7 – hall dedicated to works of the Early Renaissance
These halls compose an important part of the itinerary visitors follow, but the halls last saw major maintenance in the 1950s. They have inadequate air-systems (particularly in the summer when air conditioning seems non-existent). The renovation project includes new air conditioning and treatment systems as well as new lighting.
A selection of the major works of art displayed in these rooms has already been move to Halls 43, 44 and 45. Renovation works should be completed by Spring 2015.